Thursday, August 18, 2011

Fined �400 and can't afford to pay, can I appeal?

I was involved in an accident in which I didn't see a give way sign because it was poorly lit and, although I braked, I was too late and the car was too heavy (I was driving a company car full of stuff) so I went over the lines and another car crashed into the side of me. When I went to give a witness report I was asked whether I thought the accident was 'my fault' and, because I was told the other driver was claiming compensation, I umed that my answer would help her insurance claim so I said 'if there's a fault then it's not hers, so I suppose it's mine but it was an accident' and had "erm, mine I guess" written on my statement. Anyway, I got taken into court, I pleaded not guilty to which they said "are you sure? If you plead guilty now you get a 1/3 off your fine" (what is this; January sales for criminals?) anyway, I went to trial today and, on the advice of my junior barrister, I pleaded guilty and got 8 points and a �400 fine. The problem is, I'm �9,000 in debt because of my uni fees and I'm an actress so I can't afford to pay the fine.... my mum mention that there was some lord denning thing about "people shouldn't be fined if they can't afford it" but I don't know how to go about appealing my case or if anything can be done....?

No comments:

Post a Comment